Next week, Recovery scholars will be presenting at the 2018 Personal Digital Archiving Conference, hosted by the University of Houston Libraries. This conference will include a range of presentations, including:
- Examples of successful projects or learning experiences related to personal digital archives
- Why personal digital archives matter to individuals, communities, and organizations
- Distinctions between personal information management and the archive
- Key threats to personal digital archives, including cost, disaster, technology change, and social threats
- Applying selection criteria or other management tools for personal digital archives
- The digital archive during a person’s life and after death
- Management tools and techniques for personal digital archives
Drs. Gabriela Baeza Ventura, Carolina Villarroeal, and Lorena Gauthereau will be presenting a panel on “Recovering the US Hispanic Literary Heritage” (scheduled for Monday, April 23, 3:45pm-5:00pm), which will focus on the ways that personal archives have helped fill in the gaps of mainstream history. In addition to giving an overview of our mission, they will discuss some of the personal archive collections that were donated to Recovery and how these collections have significantly contributed to the field of US Latina/o Studies, helped to highlight the role of Latina/os in the US, and provide a more robust historical narrative of local communities.
Recovery Graduate Research Assistants will be presenting at the conference as well. On Monday, April 23 at 5:00pm, Sylvia Fernández and Annette Zapata will present “Delis Negrón Digital Biography: From a Personal Archive to a Digital Project.”
The conference will be held at Elizabeth D. Rockwell Pavillion University of Houston M.D. Anderson Library, 4333 University Drive, Houston, TX.
For more information and to register for the conference, please visit the PDA website: https://sites.lib.uh.edu/pda18/
(Registration required to attend.)
The full schedule is available here: https://sites.lib.uh.edu/pda18/schedule/